Here are JPG images of four ground plans. I've emailed the AutoCAD file to Chris (via James Mapes). The images are much clearer if you click and enlarge them.
A few notes: I've drawn the center acting area as a diamond which fits in the space better and allows more room to move around it toward the wings. (The perimeter may line up slightly better with the grid pipes as well.)
There are two bounce cards included that highlight the center area but hopefully don't crowd it or exclude too much of the wings. However, more bounce options are forthcoming.
The blinds also frame the center area.
The wardrobe includes a bar for hanging clothes.
The bookshelf can be turned around to reveal a sort of refrigerator door on back.
The table will have a circular section that can be removed or hinged down to insert a bowl that will become the sink. Hotplates create the stove area. It should also have a shallow drawer for kitchen items.
Please keep in mind that these are preliminary and I would love to hear feedback, ideas and suggestions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




A few quick reactions.
ReplyDeleteThis is great! We're getting somewhere very exciting.
Love the model pics too, forgot that we were including Tibetan monks in the show, happy to be reminded!
- I like the diamond, but think that the downstage and upstage sides shouldn't come to a point, but have a 2-3 foot flat part 'parallel' to the audience. There can be 'steps' or hash marks that indicate actors will enter from these areas...they could be off-center a bit, slightly left ds and right us, or vice versa?
Maybe we like these 'flat sections' also on the sides? Or points on the side? Also I think the sides of the diamond can be thicker, a little more square footage in there.
-Living Room and Bedroom should both 'eventually' come downstage (Bedroom right of diamong, I think actors can act right onto the ramp...living room left of diamond) of central platform. The bedroom can 'appear' in the central platform then move to its SR position. I think the living room will just appear SL. Then later the kitchen appears in the platform.
-Take a stab at where the 'patio' wants to be upstage of platform. I'm thinking it can appear in the central platform and move out. Maybe there are three carpets with one of them astroturf on one side?
-Lets keep talking about placement of bounce cards and Upstage big bristly light pipe/unit.
-I think at start of show we could turn the stage left 'couch' parallel to the audience. I think also I'll hide the small table inside the big table to start the show.
-starting to think four chairs is max (did I already say that).
- I think the wardrobe and bookshelf could start wider apart somehow, maybe even one of them far off to one side?
-did I miss the marks for where the blinds would be?
- This is great! I started to imagine some white sidewalk chalk and or white tape that lines out the floor. could be already there to start, and added to as rooms are made... blueprint marks on the floor
-I also like the idea of some cool design on the central platform... thin stripes? Could this be echoed/hinted at in other furniture.
-I think we'll want to think of something clever (and cheap/free) for those shitty curtained top four feet/areas in Theatre!Theatre!. The more I think about it...something cool might be found that unifies the space.